Summer started off with a heat wave this year; the sun is shining and I literally cannot remember the last time it rained. The fact that summer is here also means that all the best fruits are back in season and I’m living for it. Peaches are one of my favorite summer fruits to cook with. They are just so versatile. They work great in salads, but also make a killer dessert and work perfectly in drinks. This weekend I made homemade peach iced tea and even my boyfriend who had his doubts beforehand, was sold. Time to share the recipe.
For 1 liter of homemade peach iced tea you’ll need:
- 2 peaches
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 2 tea bags (you can use green or black tea)
Let’s start with the recipe
- We start this recipe by cutting the peaches, preferably into thin slices.
- Add the peaches to a small pan but keep a couple of slices separate for garnishing later on. Add the sugar and about 300 ml (a bit more than one cup) of water to the pan and put it on medium to high heat for about 15 minutes. I recommend using a wooden spoon to stir because this will help you bruise the peach slices, which releases the flavor.
- In the meantime boil about 1 liter of water in a small pan or in your kettle.
- Once the water is boiled, add about 1 or 2 teabags (depending on how strong you want the tea flavor to be) to it.
- Add a cup of cold water to the tea to cool it down and put the pitcher with tea in the fridge.
- Once your peaches are done and have turned into an orange/red syrup texture, put them to the side to cool down for about 15 minutes.
- As soon as your syrup has cooled down you can strain it. We will only need the syrup for our iced tea. Make sure you don’t throw away the peaches though; they make a delicious dessert combined with some yoghurt. If you want to go all out, you can even make a peach cobbler with them.
- Now the only thing you need to do, is add the syrup to your pitcher with iced tea.
- You can decorate your glass with the remaining peach slices that you have previously put to the side or you can add them to your pitcher of homemade peach iced tea.
What’s your favorite drink to beat the heat? If you are looking for other recipes be sure to check out the food section on my blog.